Sustainability Management in Environmental Dimensions
Environmental Policies and Practice Guidelines
- The Company will strictly comply with the National Environmental Quality Promotion, Conservation Act, and regulations relating to environment including the resource utilization and energy saving, water usage, pollution management and management of waste generating from the construction process.
- The Company sets environmental and energy conservation as its business objectives. This is the responsibility of the Company’s executives and employees at all levels to engage in sustainable environmental practices.
- The Company commits to develop innovative products and services based on fundamental of environmental and energy conservation and use natural resources cost- effectively.
- The Company will cultivate and educate employees to be aware of and protect the environment and natural resources for future generations.
The Company determined to establish the environmental and energy management system and has appointed the environmental and energy management working group to set guidelines and manage the Company environmental and energy management to be efficient and sustainable.
Moreover, the Company is aware of business operations that affect greenhouse gas which causes the global warming. In 2021, the Company has prepared for the implementations of the greenhouse gas management in 2022 onwards
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
The Company prepares and submits the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report to the Office of Natural Resource and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP) to comply with the Enhancement and Conservation of National Environmental Quality Act, B.E.2535 (A.D.1992). This Act requires the Companies with land allocation for residential or commercial purposes with more than 500 land plots, or with an area of over 100 rai, or a common residential building under the Law of Building Control with 80 rooms or more, or a usable area of more than 4,000 Sq.m. shall have to submit the EIA Report for permission of land distribution before the construction starts, during the construction, and during the project implementation, covering 4 aspects of the environmental impact as follow:
- Physical Environment Resources
- Biological Environmental Resources
- Utilization Value
- Quality of Life Value
In 2021, the Company had submitted the EIA Report to the Office of Natural Resource and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP) and 1 project was approved:
- The “Wan Veyla at Chao Phraya” received the approval, and now is under the construction process.
In 2021, the Company has no issue of violating environmental laws or regulations.
Impact Management in Construction
The Company recognizes its impact on the environment generated from the construction work and has established practices to manage the environmental impacts on community into 3 stages; the pre-opening, during the construction, and after the completion/ sales closed of the project.
Stage 1: Pre-Opening of the Project
- Conduct a survey of the area around the project to set the guidelines for preventing problems and potential impacts which may arise from the construction work to neighboring communities
- Conduct a survey of buildings, houses around the projects prior to the foundation pile drilling process and choose a method of drilling which has less impact to the surrounded building such as a bored pile system
- Set up water retardant and wastewater treatment system according to the standards set by the government entity
- Meet with the community leaders to conduct study and create mutual understandings with nearby communities
Stage 2: During the Construction
- Transportation of construction materials must not affect the residents around the project in the matter of noise, working time, dust & smoke. The projects have the protection set for the nearby community and residents.
- In case of the project is open for sale and already occupied, the Construction zones must be clearly divided from the customer's residence zones. In the case of the new phase is being constructed, the protection system will be tightly controlled so that there will be no impact to the customers.
- Responsible persons are assigned to supervise and assess problems if occur. There is continuous monitoring, prevention, and correction of impacts.
Stage 3: After Construction Completion
- Check the completeness of utilities and equipment
- Provide the instruction for use and maintenance of utilities and material equipment to meet the standards before handing over to the housing estate juristic person.
- Guidelines for practice and public relations activities are established on waste disposal and pollution management such as waste management, waste sorting and dust prevention.
Environmental issues are considered important and affects the quality of life increasingly. The Company intends to participate in conserving and improving the environmental problems. The development of environmentally friendly innovations, and the use of resources for the maximum benefit is conducted to create and preserve the sustainable environment for the society, community, employees, and residents in the project.
The Company has designed and produced the environmentally friendly products under the concept of “LH SMART, A Concept of Better Life” to improve the quality of life of the residents and to protect the environment through the following operations:
- Design products and choose to use quality, energy saving and environmentally
friendly materials, such as:
- Battens: helps to ventilate the air around the eaves. The heat that accumulates under the roof tiles can be easily drained.
- High quality gypsum board ceiling: lightweight, fireproof which helps filtering the heat from the roof, preventing the noise from upstairs and creating more beautiful and livable decorations.
- Green tinted glass: The outstanding feature is UV protection which absorbs 35-50% of the heat that shines on the glass surface, thus reducing the use of air conditioners and saving electricity expense.
- Innovation “ AirPlus Square (PM 2.5 Control).” The Company continues to emphasize the Indoor Air Quality-AIQ consecutively and has developed the latest air ventilation system. AirPlus Square: “A Breathable House, the PM 2.5 Dust Filter - Enjoy Every Moment / Enjoy Every Breath” is the air filling and dust filtering which was modified from the previous AirPlus system. The system will fill and ventilate the fresh air indoor and release the polluted air from the house. As regards the high quantity of dust outdoor, HEPA FIILTER (High Efficiency Particulate Air) is installed in AirPlus Square and efficiently filters 0.3 Micron dust, including PM 2.5. The system will automatically work to ventilate, adjust fresh air indoor consistently, and is user-friendly.The system can decrease the temperature and the accumulated humidity which can create musty odors, mold in the house, which have direct impacts to the hygiene of those who live in the society regard the air condition. It also drains out volatile chemicals (TVOC) which are used in the home as cleaning solutions and pesticides.
AirPlus Square is considered as an energy saving system that consumes less electricity, approximately 20 satang/ hour (calculating from the electricity unit at 4 Baht/unit). AirPlus Square is one of Land and Houses’ petty patents of intellectual property for the invention of new innovation.
Energy Saving from the AirPlus System
|Energy saving from using
the AirPlus system (year)
|Estimated number of houses with
AirPlus installed (units)
|Energy saving – based on 1 bedroom/
|Energy saving – based on 1 bedroom/
|Energy saving – based on 1 bedroom/
|Average electricity cost per unit (Baht)||3.7||3.9||3.8||3.5||3.5||3.7||3.7||3.7||3.7|
|Electricity cost saving per day (Baht)||117||295||371||764||1,821||1,640||1,739||1,843||1,739||10,329|
|Electricity cost saving per year (Baht)||42,541||107,617||135,441||278,872||664,785||598,698||634,662||672,742||634,662||3,770,019|
|Installed for (years)||8.5||7.5||6.5||5.5||4.5||3.5||2.5||1.5||0.5|
|Estimated electricity cost saving
since installation (Baht)
- Installation of solar panels (Solar roof), the Company has supported the use of alternative energy. Since June 2017, the Company has started the installation of Solar roof at the sales office of Serene Lake Project, Chiang Mai which helps save electricity usage during the daytime.
Using Alternative Energy (Solar Roof): Serene Lake Project, Chiang Mai
|Alternative Energy Used||Sep 2017-
|Installation of solar cell of 50 kw at the office: Serene Lake, Chiang Mai|
|Energy Saving per Year||(megawatts)||78||58||58||48||242|
|Average electricity cost per unit||(Baht)||4.9||4.7||4.7||4.6|
|Estimated electricity cost saving per year||(Baht)||377,000||270,000||276,000||222,000||1,145,000|
- The use of All-in-one Solar Street Light as a light source with integrated solar panels and intrinsic batteries to illuminate the roads in the projects and has been started to be installed at VIVE Bangna Project.
- The use of quality and energy saving materials at projects and offices such as LED lamps, LabelNo5 energy-saving air conditioners, etc.
Using LED bulbs
Since 2016, the Company has used 6.5 watts LED bulbs instead of 18 watts incandescent bulbs at the customers’ houses.
|Number of houses||(unit)||1,000||3,500||3,900||3,500||3,500||3,700||19,100|
|Average light bulb per unit||(bulb)||15||15||15||15||15||15|
|Estimated total lightbulbs||(bulb)||15,000||52,500||58,500||52,500||52,500||55,500||286,500|
|Energy saving per day|
|- Use of incandescent bulbs of 18 W||(kw)||270||945||1,053||945||945||999||5,157|
|- Use of LED 6.5 W||(kw)||98||341||380||341||341||361||1,862|
|- Energy saving per day
(Estimated usage of 6 hour per day)
|- Electricity saving per year (Estimated)||(megawatt)||377||1,322||1,473||1,322||1,322||1,397||7,213|
|Electricity cost saving (Baht)|
|- Electricity cost per unit||(Baht)||3.5||3.5||3.7||3.7||3.7||3.7|
|- Electricity consumption||(hours / day)||6.0||6.0||6.0||6.0||6.0||6.0|
|Electricity cost saving per day||(Baht)||3,623||12,679||14,854||13,331||13,331||14,093||71,910|
|Estimated electricity cost saving per year||(Baht)||1,322,000||4,627,000||5,421,000||4,865,000||4,865,000||5,143,000||26,243,000|
- The use of hybrid cars for executives and the electric golf carts for customer service in the project that saves energy and reduces air pollution.
- Use of inverter air conditioners to save electricity at customer’s homes.
- Air conditioners used at customers’ homes contain non-released refrigerant solution that destroy ozone in the atmosphere and produces greenhouse gas.
- Plant trees in the projects to absorb greenhouse gas.
- Support the use of alternative energy vehicles by installing power system for electrical vehicle charging in the project houses. EV Chargers were also installed for electric vehicle charging at The Bangkok Thonglor Condominium Project.
- The use of Automatic Lighting (Automation Censor) in the common areas of the buildings.
- Campaign to turn off the lights, electrical equipment, and air conditioners in the meeting rooms when finish meeting.
- Campaign to turn off electricity and electrical appliances when not in use and when there are long weekend or holidays.
Environmental Innovation Support
Land and Houses has sponsored the academic International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Green Architecture (SEGA), organized by the cooperation of 5 universities, including Faculty of Architecture, Kasetsart University, Faculty of Architecture and Design, King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology North Bangkok, Bangkok Thonburi University, Faculty of Industrial Technology, Suan Sunandha Rajabhat University and Faculty of Architecture, Wacana Duta Christian University (Indonesia), Indonesia. The conference has been held ever since 2015 until now.
- Use water-saving sanitary ware such as faucets and showers which reduce the use of water and expenses for customers.
- The Company organizes a wastewater management system according to the
standard as defined by the law. The experts are hired to operate the
wastewater treatment systems, measure water quality, and manage water
treatment before releasing into public water sources. The water quality
measurement includes pH, BOD (Biochemical Oxygen Demand), SS (Suspended
Solids), TDS (Total Dissolved Solids), Set. S (Settleable Solids), G&O
(Grease and Oils) and Sulfide S2 (Sulfide). The inspection periods and
reports to the relevant government agencies as set as follows:
- - Monthly internal inspection
- - Quarterly external inspection
- - Annual inspection by environmental officers
- The quality of treated water at the Company’s projects have met the standard specified by the law in every parameter.
- The treated water is used for watering plants, garden, roads, and sidewalks in the common areas.
Green areas have been increased to create a beautiful shady environment and help filter air pollution in the projects and surrounding areas. By 2021, there is a total common green area of 50.27 rai or 9.23 % of the Company’s the open for sales, and the under-development projects.
Reducing the Use of Plastics
The Company realizes the importance of the reduction and giving up use of plastics in the organization. To reduce the amount of plastic waste which takes a long time to decompose, the “THINK GREEN” Project has been initiated under the concept #THINK GREEN FOR A BETTER LIVING and operated since July 2019 as following operations:
- Termination of plastic packaging of drinking water which are arranged for the customers and changed to a paper drinking water box. The used paper drinking water boxes are to be recycled.
- Termination of use of plastic cups in the organization by asking employees to bring personal containers to fill in the beverage provided by the Company.
- Establish “LH Recycle Plastic Uniform” Project, which is a project to produce uniform shirts from plastic water bottles, in which one shirt uses 12 recycled plastic bottles, which helps in reducing the amount of plastic waste in the society and promotes the recycling system.
- Preparation and distribution of cloth shopping bags to employees and the customers who purchase the Company’s houses to use instead of plastic bags in consumer good shopping.
- Participation as part of the “Green Roof “Project by Friends in Need (of “PA”) Volunteer Foundation that organizes the collection and recycling of paper drinking boxes into roofing of homes or shelters for the needy and suffering communities nationwide.
- Campaign the collection of used paper beverage drinking boxes from both the Head Office and the project sites offices to donate at the donation kiosks located at every Big C Department Store. It is also part of the public relations campaign for interested residents to join the Green Roof Project.
Reducing Dust in the Construction Projects
- Install water sprinklers on the roads in the construction projects
- Use a vacuum/suction tools in the cutting , grinding and polishing the ceiling and wall sanding process
- All vehicles are required to pass through the wheel washing pond for cleaning the tires before leaving the construction sites.
- Install the dust barriers, mesh sheets, and canvas at the construction plots and zones, to prevent the spreading dust and failing debris or rubble.
- Have workers remove soil dirt and pebbles from the roads before off-work time everyday
During the construction process
3 R Procedure (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
- Reduce the use of paper.
- Store documents in electronic format .
- Use recycled paper/ envelopes/ folders.
- Donate old computers and printers to communities to be reused.
- Donate used calendars to be reused to record the braille characters for the visually impaired.
- Reduce the use of disposable clear plastics using for the floor, furniture, and equipment covering during the repair work at customers’ homes and use blue sheet plastic instead, which can be cleaned and reused.
- “ LH Recycle Plastic Uniform” Project that produce the shirt uniform from the plastic bottles. One shirt uses 12 recycled plastic bottles which reduces the plastic waste in the society and promotes reuse.